Brain-computer interface technology is a direct pathway for communication between the human brain and an external device. BCI allows for bidirectional information flow unlike neuromodulation, which is the alteration of nerve activity through targeted delivery of a stimulus. BCIs are often directed at researching, mapping, assisting, augmenting, or repairing human cognitive or sensory-motor functions.
A brain–computer interface (BCI) also known as
- neural-control interface (NCI)
- mind-machine interface (MMI)
- direct neural interface (DNI)
- brain–machine interface (BMI)
In the Alien universe, this trope is used in Alien The Cold Forge by Dr Blue Marsalis. As she suffers from a severe illness the use of her telepresence robot is the only way she can conduct her experiments. A variation on the BDI is the Neuro Visor in Prometheus which Sci-fi Interfaces has covered.
- Krucoff, Max O.; Rahimpour, Shervin; Slutzky, Marc W.; Edgerton, V. Reggie; Turner, Dennis A. (2016-01-01). “Enhancing Nervous System Recovery through Neurobiologics, Neural Interface Training, and Neurorehabilitation”. Neuroprosthetics. 10: 584. doi:10.3389/fnins.2016.00584. PMC . PMID 28082858
- “International Neuromodulation Society home page”.
- T.V. Tropes Neural Interface