I had reposted some art I found on facebook for the Near Mint Conditon exclusive coverage of the Marvel Alien Omnibus on my Instagram, the cover wasn’t anything wow but it wasn’t till someone had pointed out that Greg Land had traced over Tristan Jones own Alien art that I started to get really concerned.
As I watched the situation slowly unfold people started helping to find out where the “references” came from.
And then BigChap from LV426 Discord showed a side by side comparison. It was unmistakable that it was Tristan’s work being plagiarised.
Great detective work from Adam Zeller at AvP Galaxy revealed that the egg in the corner was one by NECA
Other sites have started to give coverage as well:
- Marvel Illustrator Greg Land Once Again Accused of Plagiarism
- Marvel Aliens: Omnibus 1 Features Cover Swiped From Tristan Jones Artwork
- IF MARVEL WANTS TO WIN OVER ALIEN FANS, THIS WAS A BAD WAY TO START THINGS OFF
- CBR Aliens’ Tristan Jones Accuses Greg Land of Plagiarizing Art for Marvel Omnibus
- Marvel Comics and Greg Land Accused of Tracing Dark Horse Aliens Artist Tristan Jones Work for Aliens Omnibus Cover
- Art Net News –Marvel Illustrator Greg Land Once Again Accused of Plagiarism
- Multiversity Comics The Rundown: September 3, 2020
- Acusan a Marvel de copiar una portada de Alien
Here at Studio Yutani we are no strangers to Tristan Jones and his work. Our Patreon often featured signed copies as giveaways. He has always been down to earth and gracious towards fans. Which is why this shameless move by Greg Land signals that he may not be the one to herald in Marvel as Aliens new publisher.
You can watch my discussion in THE MUTHUR ROOM with Tristan here https://youtu.be/o4-7UccqlKw
You can listen to my past Creatives interview with Tristan here.